8.16.2005

At the world headquarters

Working in my home office this week. This brings freedom (e.g., get a haircut, outline twenty minutes of a movie script) and responsibility (prove your productivity by stacking up accomplishments). After twelve years managing myself, this is a cinch.

Yesterday I offered feedback to one of the business unit managers about proposed training topics. Today, I review the curriculum to edit and develop the testing and remediation methods we're using: self-study quizes, daily in-class knowledge review and skill checks, end-of-training skill assessments, report cards and individual development plans, and a final, go-to-production skill assessment.

Perhaps the most important thing to know about working in a large company setting (in my experience, large means 500 people or more) is when to go slow. Saves time, effort, and money. Doing work that must be done again impresses no one. Even if initiative is good, foresight and judgment are better. But the work on my home office desk is not at issue. Let me get back to it.

No comments: